Thursday, January 8, 2009

Summer Dreamin'

I mentioned in the last post how hot-natured my husband and children are. I'm the exact opposite - extremely cold-natured. So, it's probably no surprise that winter is not my favorite season! But it's a sure thing that come mid-June, when I'm cursing the Mississippi humidity and mosquitoes, Allan will say "And you couldn't wait for summer?!"

It's probably a little harder for me this year because we have a new house and I have a new Christmas gift. Allan asked what I wanted for Christmas and I said "A composter." Allan said "No, seriously." "I am serious." "You are so weird!" (I'll post pictures of the composter later.) So, I'm envisioning piles of rich compost and the yummy veggies I'm hoping to grow come spring - as soon as I get this composting thing down!

In the meantime, here's a flashback of last year's gardening project:

The kids and I found some tomato plants at the Farmer's Market. On-line I found instructions for planting them upside down. I bought paint buckets at Lowe's and Allan drilled holes in the bottom. We fed a few inches of each plant through, then tucked in some newspaper around it. Then we filled with dirt, topped w/ the lid, and hung on the clothesline poles.

Michaela was so little!
Some liquid seaweed, epsom salts, eggshells, water, sunshine and a little patience . . .
Hunter was ready to pick our first tomato.
Look how big!
Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment