Sunday, May 24, 2009

Wait 'til he finds out what the meatballs are made of . . .

Hunter may be on his way to becoming a vegetarian. (I just wish he ate vegetables!) He has slowly been realizing that meat comes from animals. He has never really cared for beef, but I could sneak it past him in a few dishes, like lasagna and chili. Now, I've even had to switch to ground chicken or turkey in those dishes, as well. (I was surprised that Allan has not protested this switch!) Earlier in the week, I made a turkey breast. As Hunter took a bite, all of a sudden he said to me, "Am I eating the turkey's muscles?!" "Well, yes," I told him. "Ewww! Why am I eating it's muscles?" "Because the bones are too crunchy!" (Yes, I really did say that.)
A couple of days ago, I was making a brisket for dinner. (I already had mac-n-chz planned for Hunter.) Hunter saw me opening the package and said, "Is that blood? Why is there blood?" "Well, because this is meat."
"So, that's the turkey's blood?"
"Not exactly, this meat comes from a cow."
"But we get milk from cows."
"Yes, some cows give us milk and some cows give us meat."
"So, they drain the milk out of the cow and then cut it up?!" completely disgusted at this point.
"Something like that."

2 comments:

  1. we sooo miss you guys but i'm glad we haven't had hunter explaining this to the kids!

    ReplyDelete