Saturday, October 3, 2009

Hunter Two-Wheeling



Last summer, a friend of mine gave Hunter her son's bike that he had outgrown. Being Hunter's first 'two-wheel' bike, I went and bought some training wheels to add to it. Having not learned to ride a bike myself until I was 12, I never knew it could be so difficult to ride a bike w/ training wheels. (My ten-speed didn't have training wheels.) Hunter was really struggling last summer and got to a point where he decided it was more fun to just crash the bike than ride it. We worked some more on it at the beginning of this summer, but once again, Hunter wouldn't get very far down the street and start to lose control. Rather than just drop his foot or put on the brakes to stop the bike, he would let it coast and crash. Not surprisingly, the training wheels couldn't handle this sort of mistreatment and one fell off. Hunter kept telling me I needed to go to Wal-Mart and get him another set of training wheels. I told him, "No! We kept telling you to stop crashing that bike on purpose because the training wheels were going to fall off. I'm not buying you another set of training wheels. You'll just have to learn to ride that bike without the training wheels!" Lo and behold, Hunter cleared the toys off the path beside our carport yesterday. He kept practicing, by himself, and within 30 minutes was riding the full length of the path without falling off! This video is Hunter showing his Daddy this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment